If you are hit by an uninsured driver who was at fault for the accident, you may be left with medical bills to pay at the same time that you are unable to work and losing wages. At Springer & Lyle, we work with your own insurance company to obtain compensation for you if you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage.
Overview of Uninsured Motorist Coverage
In Texas, all motorists are required by law to carry liability insurance. Unfortunately, thousands of Texas drivers ignore this law and drive uninsured.
When you purchase your legally required car insurance policy, your insurance agent must offer you the chance to buy UM coverage. If you do not want this coverage, you must put in writing that it was offered to you, but you specifically declined it.
UM coverage is just what it sounds like: insurance that covers you and pays for your injuries if you were in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist. Some important things about UM coverage you need to know include.
- Your UM coverage only covers you if the accident was not your fault.
- If you are a pedestrian and hit by an uninsured motorist, your UM policy on your own vehicle will cover you.
- All passengers in your car who were injured in the accident that was the fault of the uninsured driver are covered.
- All your family members who live in your home are generally covered by your UM policy.
- If it was a hit-and-run accident, you must file a police report. Generally, the other vehicle must have hit your vehicle in order for UM coverage to click in. For example, if another car runs you off the road causing you to hit a tree and be injured, but made no actual contact with your car, you will not be covered by your UM policy.
A Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Collect from Your Own Insurance Policy if you have UM Coverage
Since UM coverage does not pay if the accident was your fault, you may find your own insurance company, in order to avoid paying your claim, trying to prove you were at fault for the accident. A personal injury attorney can assist you in getting your UM coverage to pay for the damages you suffered in an accident with an uninsured/at-fault motorist.
The personal injury attorneys at Springer & Lyle can help you collect the reasonable compensation you are entitled for your injuries, lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other physical damage. Contact us at 940.387.0404 for a free consultation.