The term car accidents covers a wide range of situations: they stretch from seemingly mild fender benders in parking lots to multi-car pile ups on highways. Regardless of the degree of drama involved, even the slightest accident can result in serious injury. Personal Injury attorneys at Springer & Lyle want to make sure that you have the best information available when making a decision.
Often accidents occur out of the blue. Of course, when these situations happen, a victim may have a hard time remembering exactly what has happened. Many people wonder: I have been hurt in an accident, when should I call an attorney?
If you have been in an accident and have been hurt, we recommend that you contact an attorney as soon as possible, after seeking medical treatment. Most attorneys will not charge you for an initial consultation.
Let your attorney know if:
- The other party is definitely at fault
- The other party had an impairment, such as being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- The other party was distracted, perhaps by a cell phone
- There are possible witnesses such as other drivers, other passengers, or pedestrians
- There is a police report that has put you at fault, even if you dispute it
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Do not speak with the other driver’s insurance company
- Cooperate fully with the investigating officers
- It’s OK to speak with your own insurance company
- Take pictures at the scene if you can but concentrate on your medical condition first
- Provide your health insurance information to the hospital and all health care providers
Your insurance company may not be willing to pay out what you deserve, and/or the paperwork involved may be overwhelming. We are here to help you sort through all of this. If you have lost work time or have lost your vehicle due to this as well, then you will need to be compensated. We have years of experience working with insurance companies.
At Springer and Lyle we will identify what needs to be done quickly and provide advice to help you start the process in the right direction. Your first task is to get better and follow the advice of your doctors. Please contact us with any questions about your personal injury concerns.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.