It is possible to get a divorce in Texas without the assistance of an attorney. The law does not require you to have an attorney, and there are many websites that offer, for a small fee, to walk you through the process.
A better question is “Should I get a divorce without the help of a lawyer?” There are some circumstances where a do-it-yourself divorce works, and you and your ex-spouse can walk into your future and not look back.
There are also some cases where one or both parties look back with regret when they realize what they lost due to their divorce without legal assistance.
When You Likely Do Not Need a Divorce Lawyer
There are certainly some situations where a couple does not need an attorney to help them with the divorce. For example,
- The marriage didn’t last long, and they didn’t acquire any assets together.
- There are no children involved.
- The couple, who has no children together, has assets, but has put in writing that they agree as to how the assets will be divided.
- The divorce is uncontested. This means both parties want the divorce. If one party contests the divorce, you need an attorney who can move the case forward despite the arguments of the spouse who does not want the divorce.
These are not legal requirements but only suggestions. It is possible for any couple to get a divorce in Texas without a lawyer, but the law is complicated. It is common for at least one spouse to ultimately seek legal counsel even if the couple began the process without a lawyer.
How Our Divorce Attorneys at Springer & Lyle Can Help
There are many reasons to hire a divorce lawyer at Springer & Lyle who will help you through the divorce process.
Just a few examples of how an attorney can help you include:
- Making sure proper legal procedures are followed.
- Meeting court-established deadlines.
- Identifying community and separate property and helping you and your spouse come to an agreement about how it should be divided.
- Assisting with a co-parenting plan which is in the best interest of the children.
For answers to your questions about how a lawyer can help with your divorce, contact us at Springer & Lyle. One of our divorce attorneys will help.